Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pre-Thanksgiving Update:

Current progress:

I originally had this thursday set as my finish time on the animation portion of my final. However, considering the fluidity and timing I want to achieve with my hand-drawn animations, the process is taking longer than expected. Luckily I've planned for such a thing in my calendar.


11/19: 4/5 of all assets completed. Begin animating project.
11/24: Continue animating project. All assets should be complete at this point.
11/26: Animation finished. Any tweaking to each scene completed by 11/29.
11/30: *****Rendering from the 30th thru Dec 2nd. Extra time given in case of mistakes, errors, or unforeseen circumstances.*****
12/3: final revisions to animation done. rendering completed. begin working on class DVD.
12/7: extra time given for unforeseen circumstances.
12/10: last day of class. dvd turned in.


The time between 11/26 and 11/30 as well as 11/30 to 12/3 was padded with extra time for rendering that I know I will not need in case of unforeseen events such as this.. (I'm working with vectored graphics and movie clips; I doubt a whole week is needed for rendering.) So I'm reorganizing my schedule just a bit to compensate, where I lower the amount of days i have to render to continue animating.


11/19: 4/5 of all assets completed. Begin animating project.
11/24: Continue animating project. All assets should be complete at this point. (
begin working on class DVD.)
11/26: Continue animating scenes.
11/30: Animations should be complete by this point. Compositing should be in-progress.
12/3: final revisions and compositing to animation done. rendering completed.
12/7: extra time given for unforeseen circumstances.
12/10: last day of class. dvd turned in.


This way, i give myself more time to complete my animations without falling behind.

(Edit: It's been confirmed that the school will be closed most of Wednesday and Thursday. I'm going to work as much as i can, and work on my dvd at home during thanksgiving holiday.)

Beyond that, ALL of my assets are completed. Here is a list of the new ones below:

--------------------------------------


The building where the climax of the animation takes place has three parts the first part is pictured above.



Part 2: A bit higher up.



Part 3: Waay higher.



There is an extra shot within the building, where we see him ride the elevator to the top floor.



Cityscape used for the building shots from above.



I revised the CEO, adding a shirt tail and cigar while removing the neck and gold lapel. I agree with the class, and think he looks a lot more 40's greedy-ish this way.


These are the extras that i use to populate the city in my animation. There will be color shifts, so there is more individuality between them, but they are all made from these three. I know the neck on the CEO seemed akward, but no one seems to mind it on my main character (maybe because it was thicker?) so the extras have necks as well.

-----------------------------

Finally, I have a preview of the first 22 seconds of my animation, except for empty spaces where backgrounds or set pieces would appear along with the animation. There is a green alpha channel on it currently to make it easier to see parts that are working and mistakes. Beyond finalizing the timing and tightening up a few sequences, I am getting a good idea of where areas need improvement.

I've been animating him with a certain level of fluidity and looseness in design that I hope will have him stand out from the static, geometric environment he works within. I know that my scenes are not composited yet, but from looking at this in comparison with my environments, is it working? Is it not? Should I tighten my animations to better represent my conceptual art and character designs?

While I am far along into my final, I'm not so far that i am unable to make revisions and improvements to my animations. Any and all comments would be appreciated.

DI Final: Preview 1 from Michael Shaw on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment